Poem for Justin

 Dear Justin, Please listen to me


In the cradle of a nation, where the mountains rise so high,  

Women like me, we’ve toiled, under this Canadian sky.  

Years have passed, the seasons turned, my hair now kissed by gray,  

But the burdens that we carry, they grow heavier each day.


I was young, with dreams and hope, and a baby in my arms,  

Yet no reward, no gentle hand, no shelter from the storms.  

Two decades gone, the cuts were deep, the funding slipped away,  

And here I stand, at 62, with bills I cannot pay.


You know the struggle, Justin, your mother’s heart has bled,  

For mental health, for dignity, for a roof above our head.  

Yet here in British Columbia, the wealthy take it all,  

While those of us who gave our best, are left to watch and fall.


They say Canada welcomes all, a million strong and free,  

But what of those who’ve been here long, who built this legacy?  

The jobs are few, the doors are closed, if you’re past thirty’s prime,  

And CPP, it barely feeds, while men fare better with their time.


It’s not a call for pity, but for justice and for care,  

For women born and raised here, who’ve faced a life unfair.  

Prepare, prepare, the cycles turn, the Great Depart  is near,  

And if we don’t set things aright, we’ll face it all in fear.


Pierre’s path, it darkens skies, it leads us to despair,  

But you, dear Justin, hold the light, the hope we need to share.  

I vote for green, I vote for life, for futures pure and bright,  

But now the world has lost its way, we must turn back to light.


So listen, son, with heart and mind, and do what must be done,  

For your children, for my children, for every daughter, every son.  

Radically renew this land, make mental health our guide,  

And build a Canada for all, with justice on our side.


With wisdom of a mother’s heart, and hope for what could be,  

I trust you’ll find the strength within to lead this land to see,  

A brighter day, a kinder way, where all are given grace,  



Do it, Justin, for us all—restore the light in this place.


**With a Mother’s Love,**


Tina Winterlik  

Zipolita

Comments

Popular Posts